|Water cistern within the Fort's walls|
|Original ramp for canons to go and up down the walls|
Cathedral--Inside are the remains of its 1m-thick walls, begun by the third bishop of Cape Verde, Francisco da Cruz, in 1556.
From the west side of the Fort, the lush valley of trees, plantations, and fresh bananas, mangos, papayas, and sugar cane.
In 1676, the ambitious original plans were scaled down and it was proposed to build only a sanctuary about 24m long . But the energetic Bishop Vitoriano Portuense, who arrived in 1688, returned to the original design and it was completed in 1693. Its life was short, however, in 1712, it was attacked and virtually destroyed by French pirate Jacques Cassard.
PELOURINHO This 16th-century pilory was used for punishment of slaves. It is arresting symbol of inhumanity.